Tuesday, March 6, 2012

We are far too easily pleased.



Recently, I've had a lot of time on my hands. The husband's now at work full time. School hasn't started yet. And a social life takes time to form in a new place.

 So what do I do with all my time? Well, I've been trying to put it to good use and into the proper pursuits. And of course, things that make me happy.... Read more books. Take more walks. Spend time outside. Make new friends. Unpack. Keep house spick and span. Organize. Unpack more. Organize what I just unpacked. Keep in touch with old friends. Make new ones. Make art. Decorate house. Bake vegan cookies. & lots of other great things.

 And I've been doing those things. They really are great. There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with them. But to be honest, they don't make me happy.

 Here is what I'm learning... When it comes down to it, no amount of books or walks or artistic or social accomplishments will fill my heart. They provide temporary smiles, but they do not fulfill. They do not define. They do not sustain. I pursue these things to pursue happiness, but if I'm honest, I rarely find it there.

 And while I am giving my time to all these good things, there is a loving God who desires a relationship with me (and you!) and promises us true fulfillment and joy if we would only find it at the source, in HIM.

 Here's a quote from a sermon by C.S. Lewis & one of my favorites...

 "Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and staggering nature of the rewards promised in the gospels, it would seem that our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling around with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in the slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."

We must be willing to abandon the pursuit good things, for the pursuit of what is best. We are far too easily pleased.

For me, this means giving less of my time to those good, artistic, beautiful things, so that I can spend more of my time with my Creator and Savior. The only source of true and lasting Joy.

What does it look like for you?

Ps. We quote C.S. Lewis a lot around these parts. If you've never read anything by him, I would highly recommend it.


4 comments:

Colleen said...

This is a great post my friend. I need to put down my mud pies and get out of the slums. Thanks for the reminder.

Unknown said...

Goodness. I needed that girl.
God has really been stirring my heart on a lot of things lately & I feel like I am pushing them aside.
I tend to think that I know what is best for me ... or what will make me happy, but as you said .. it is only temporary.
"...in His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of every human being..." -Job 12:10 (NIV)
He is always seeking to guide us on this journey. The Lord holds us close to His heart, constantly reminding us that He loves us and wants the best for us.
We just have to be open to listen and be obedient. :)
Thanks dear!
Have a wonderful day.
much love, colie.

Funmilayo said...

C.S. Lewis was full of wise words, and you make a great point

Kendra said...

Love C.S. Lewis. So wise and eloquent are his words.